ELECTION WATCH 29/2018
9th July 2018
Correction of Omissions and Errors in ZEC’s First Lists of Nominated Candidates
The Acting Chief Elections Officer of the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission [ZEC] has published two General Notices [GNs] correcting omissions from and errors in the lists gazetted on 22nd June in GNs 411 and 412. The effect of these corrections is summarised below.
Correction of Omissions and Errors
List of National Assembly Constituency Candidates:
- the names of six duly nominated candidates that were “inadvertently omitted” from the original notice gazetted on 22nd June 2018 [the constituencies concerned are Mhondoro-Ngezi, Chivi North, Bindura South, Mbare and Magwegwe]
- corrections to the names of two candidates included in the original notice [incorrect surname for Minister Sithembiso Nyoni in Nkayi North, and misspelling of the first name of a candidate in Chitungwiza North].
- changes to the order of candidates in the party lists for the six National Assembly women’s seats in Bulawayo metropolitan province [party-lists of ZANU-PF, ZAPU, PRC, NPF, MDC-Alliance, MDC-T, UDA]
Note changes in order are important as seats are filled in the order on a given list.
- inclusion of “inadvertently omitted” party lists for the PRC [Peoples Rainbow Coalition] in Mashonaland West province, as follows:
- National Assembly women’s party-list seats
- Senate party-list seats
- Provincial Council party-list seats.
No Corrections were made to the List of Presidential Candidates
Lists of Candidates on the Veritas Website
As a result of the two GNs described above, the lists of candidates in the first set of GNs have to be read in conjunction with the newly gazetted GNs. Both sets of GN’s are available on the Veritas website at the links given above.